Friday, November 05, 2004
I have to say, I've not really turned on my TV since Wednesday morning. I heard that John Kerry gave a very gracious and moving concession speech but I did not need to hear/see it. I know what kind of man he is already. I DO NOT want to hear one iota of information concerning the asshole who was re-elected this week. I'm going to content myself with tape-recorded television (Charmed, Lost, etc.) or DVDs (Erik and I are planning on plowing through Buffy seasons 5 and 6 this weekend).
Speaking of Charmed and Lost -- Charmed is finally back on track. They are producing episodes that are very good in the way that the show has been for the past few years. I am pleased.
This week's episode of Lost, on the contrary, sucked dingleberries. I know they all can't be gems but the whole moth pushing through the cocoon bullshizz they fed us was a bit much. 2 thumbs down! Boo!
And while I wasn't that fond of the Star Wars Episode III teaser poster that was released recently, I do approve of the teaser trailer that was just released. Apparently there is much to-do over the fact that only "paid subscribers" at StarWars.com should have access to the trailer but Sky News has it for download HERE.
A thrilling new trailer for the Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith, which links the first trilogy with the second, is now being shown on the internet ... It shows glimpses from previous films with a voiceover from the original 1977 movie by the late Sir Alec Guinness, who played wise old jedi Ben Kenobi ... As he explains how young Anakin Skywalker turned into evil lord Darth Vadar, viewers see exclusive fight scenes from George Lucas' latest offering.
It looks pretty cool to me. I'm still suspicious as to how they are going to bridge the gap between Episode III and Episode IV but we'll find out on May 15, 2005 how it all turns out.
Kylie Minogue's new video for I Believe In You is also available for viewing online. You can check it out at her official website Kylie.com. Music is a great remedy when you are feeling down. I'm very much looking forward to the new greatest hits packages from both Kylie and Britney (due next Tuesday) but I am EXTREMELY excited for the new album from Tori Amos. There is supposed to be a new album from Dannii Minogue as well (I've even read rumors of a new Nina Gordon album in early 2005 -- but rumors of a new album have been swirling for about 2 years now). And, I'm sure Trent Reznor will release the new NIN album (the official site, NIN.com, hints that the new title is with teeth) in my lifetime.
All this new music will be happily consumed as soon as they are available.
Now, time to gossip:
- There was still fallout from the Ashlee Simpson lip-syncing fiasco from a couple of weeks ago. Eminem, apparently, lip-synced his performance on SNL last weekend too. Hello! Are people stupid?! Oh wait, maybe I we already know the answer to that question. My point is that everyone lip-syncs. Rappers always have backing tracks because they generally do not employ backup singers. People need to get over it already. Besides, Eminem has got bigger problems. What in hell made him think that sampling Toy Soldiers by Martika was a good idea? [via Stereogum via Catchdubs]
- In other Ashlee news, she has decided to dump Autobiography as her next single. Hmm, isn't this the song she was supposed to sing live on SNL? Embarrassed pop star Ashlee Simpson has dumped her track "Autobiography" as her next single after her Saturday Night Live lip- syncing episode last month ... On her official website Simpson has now announced the album track "La La" would replace Autobiography as her next release. Sucks! I think Autobiography is my fave song on the album. Ah well, I'll still use it as the ringtone on my mobile phone. And, if you are still interested (geeze, I'm not even that interested anymore) you can read a message, also on her official site, from her drummer taking the blame for the SNL fiasco. During the rehearsals for the SNL performance, we practiced the songs "Autobiography" and "Pieces of Me", in that order. For the show itself, we switched the order. So, even though we had already played "Pieces" for our FIRST performance (and quite well from what I'm told), when it came time for the SECOND song, I started "Pieces" (the second song in rehearsal) again without thinking twice. I'm sure now that I will be getting shit about how I'm a bad musician and whatever. But hey... I made a mistake. It happens. Any of you who have never made a mistake in your life, feel free to respond. And there you go.
- Franz Ferdinand will be coming back to Detroit for 89X's annual Xmas Festival concert. As “This Fire” continues to blaze up the charts, Franz Ferdinand plans to hit a handful of North American cities in December for a mini-tour. The Scotsmen will join in the holiday spirit for radio sponsored Christmas shows in Detroit, as well as Camden and East Rutherford, New Jersey. They will play Detroit's Cobo Hall on December 1st.
- Oh those ever-hopeful gays, counting on the courts to overturn the state same-sex marriage bans is soooo cute. Gay-rights groups like the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force are hoping the U.S. Supreme Court will overturn the state amendments ... "The reason we have a judicial system is to prevent against moral tyranny," Cahill said. "We're hopeful over the long term these initiatives will be found to violate the equal protection clause of the Constitution and be struck down, but that's assuming a lot of the Supreme Court that I don't think we can with Bush being re-elected, as he will likely appoint two or three justices." They better bring those cases soon ...
- Well look at that ... the first suit against a state's same-sex marriage ban has already been filed -- in the ultra conservative state of Oklahoma! TULSA, Okla. -- Two lesbian couples filed a federal lawsuit that challenges a new state constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage as well as a related federal law. Oklahoma was one of 11 states that approved constitutional bans on gay marriage Tuesday. The federal lawsuit filed Wednesday says the state ban violates the equal protection and due process rights of the plaintiffs by not allowing them to marry and by not recognizing civil unions performed elsewhere. The lawsuit also challenges the federal Defense of Marriage Act, which permits states to ignore gay weddings performed in other states. This really does prove that people will not go down without a fight. Maybe the courts will come through before the re-elected asshole has a chance to fuck up the Supreme Court.
- I bookmarked this news item a few days ago but now it doesn't seem that interesting. At their NYC show last week, R. Kelly got pissed that Jay-Z was getting all the love from the fans while they were both on stage. He left the stage (like a cry-baby) and Jay-Z had to call other rappers, who happened to be in the audience (Mary J. Blige and others), on stage to help him finish the show. Apparently, it was an awesome show from there on out. Soo, Jay-Z booted R. Kelly from the tour (another bit of goss from this debacle involves pepper spray and an assault but I'm not sure of the details) and now R. Kelly is suing Jay-Z. NEW YORK (AP) -- Singer R. Kelly sued rapper Jay-Z on Monday for $75 million, alleging Jay-Z's "spite and jealousy" prompted him to use violence to force Kelly off their national tour. Hahahaha, after recounting the bitchy drama ... I guess it is a little interesting still.
- How's this for weird! Today Brian Adams turns 45. Also today, Ryan Adams turns 30! They were born on the same day! No wonder everyone always gets the two confused. Oh, and Boo! to the fact that I'm older than Ryan Adams by a few months ... I thought he was older by a few months. Boo!
I’m just getting back from my honeymoon and it was absolutely breathtaking! This is the happiest I’ve ever been in my life. Unfortunately, we couldn’t take our honeymoon right after the wedding because of the closing on our new house. We are just settling into our new home and it is coming together perfectly. I’m redecorating a lot of things because when we decide to start a family, everything in it needs to be perfecto! I love decorating; it’s very therapeutic for me. I believe your house is a reflection of yourself, so I want everything in mine to be exquisite.
My new hobby is experimenting with all different types of art lessons. It’s always been a passion of mine. Maybe I’ll even do my sister’s make-up next year for big events. Jamie Lynn is turning into such a beautiful little lady. Her new show is coming out soon and I am sooo proud of her. It’s called Zoey 101 and it will be on Nickelodeon in January. DON’T MISS IT!
I haven’t really thought a lot about work lately. What better time for a greatest hits album to come out? I can actually enjoy & reflect on my success at this point in my life. I may be disappointing some fans out there, but I don’t think I’ll do another tour for a couple of years. My priorities in life have changed. I am having fun again reading all the magazines that I enjoy (mainly because I am not on them). At this point and time, what I want is not my face on every cover, but someone else’s instead. I really want to help other people achieve their dreams and possibly even develop new artists. Everything is in the very beginning stages and it feels great to just think about different opportunities that I am interested in pursuing.
The Holiday’s are right around the corner and I can’t wait to have my own Christmas tree in my very own house. As far as New Year’s plans, I really wanted to have a huge party for all our friends and relatives who were unable to be at our wedding, due to the last minute surprise element, but I think we might have to wait until after the house is completely finished.
Well, I’ve got to go. My dog, Lacy, just got fixed and she’s not acting like herself! I’m going to have Shabby Chic re-cover her bed and maybe that will lift her spirits!
PS~ Regarding last week’s letter: I’m not the type of person to put blame on other people, but I do feel that some things which were done for me were not always in my best interests. Looking back, I feel now that on my 4th album “less is more” should have been the way to go. As for me quitting the business for good, that is kind of harsh. As I said earlier, my priorities have changed and I am going to be focusing on three main areas of my life for the immediate future. Myself, my husband, Kevin and starting a family. When I really come back, things will be totally different. Until then, there are some things close to me that you might be interested in seeing. For one, you will be able to get a taste of my fine hubby on a few covers; Jamie Lynn has her show coming out and of course, the tabloid’s weekly analysis of my “letter of truth”. Hopefully, they won’t be trying to decipher that one for much longer! I can’t wait to read what they say this week. He He! Well, now I’ve really got to go!
And with that I'm out too. Love ya, T
UPDATE: Stereogum confirms that this new letter is from Britney exclusively for her fan club members. Whether or not she wrote it herself or got help writing it remains to be seen, but it was released as if from her hand.