Monday, December 26, 2005
Fiona Apple - Extraordinary Machine:
This album is by far my favorite album of the year ... when it was leaked to the Internet in its raw, unfinished form I fell in love with it immediately. I was worried that the album would lose its appeal after it had been mastered and released in polished form but it remained true to its original feel. The music, the lyrics, the whole tone of the album shows us a different side to Fiona Apple. This album is proof that Fiona Apple is still a musical force to be reckoned with.
M.I.A. - Arular:
M.I.A. is, quite possibly, the new Missy Elliot.
Imogen Heap - Speak For Yourself:
Imogen picks up where Björk left off.
Liz Phair - Somebody's Miracle:
I like to think that Liz Phair is growing ... not selling out.
Madonna - Confessions on a Dancefloor:
An all-out dance album ... that is completely solid from beginning to end. I even dance around to the song Isaac! Madonna does it again.
Brendan Benson -- The Alternative to Love:
Detroit's own Brendan Benson is seriously one of the most prolific songwriters around right now ... his one album speaks volumes more than the 3 albums that Ryan Adams released this year.
Juliana Hatfield - Made In China:
Juliana spent most of the year giving away her music on her official website ... this album shows why people still want to pay for it.
Martha Wainwright - Martha Wainwright:
Rufus isn't the only star in this family ... Martha Wainwright is an incredible songwriter in her own right -- she even gets her point across without getting as schmaltzy as Rufus does ... she could give him a few lessons.
Goldfrapp - Supernature:
Who says electro is dead? Not Goldfrapp ... they're keeping the spirit alive and are doing it well.
Alec Empire - Futurist:
Alec Empire released the album that Nine Inch Nails should have released. Digital Hardcore is mellowing out a bit ... it's getting darker and melodic. It might even get popular some day.
- Mariah Carey - We Belong Together: By far, my jam of the year. When I think about 2005 I think about this song ... it's so simple but so catchy. I absolutely hate pop ballads ... but there is something about this song that makes me love it so. It is deffo my favorite song of the year.
- Kelly Clarkson - Since U Been Gone: A solid second fave song ... this song was everywhere this year, even Ted Leo was a fan of this song. Kelly Clarkson hit it out of the ballpark with this song.
- The Bravery - An Honest Mistake: The Killers may have a better album but The Bravery have the better song.
- The Killers - Mr. Brightside: Who didn't love this song this year?
- Morningwood - Nth Degree: This song is so new you've prolly not even heard it yet, but Morningwood is coming ... and you're gonna love them!
- Madonna - Hung Up: This song hit like an atom bomb ... I love it so much I even fell in love with Abba's Gimme Gimme Gimme.
- Hilary Duff - Beat of my Heart: The best dance song of the year. Who says pop music is dead?
- Tegan and Sara - Walking With A Ghost: The best indie dance song of the year. Yes, it even got the hipsters to uncross their arms and dance.
- BEP - My Humps: Ugh, I love this song ... and I'm so ashamed to admit it.
- Annie - Chewing Gum: This song is aural crack ... I'm totally serious.
Ricky Martin really knows how to whoop it up for the holidays ... he is happiest when he is wearing as little clothing as possible ... sunning himself on the beach ... with a good friend:
Ricky really looks happy with his male friend ... I love the picture of Mr. Martin getting toweled off by his buddy ... it's so cute! [Source]
Lindsay Lohan flew home for the holidays ... after spending some time in NYC shopping and partying up a storm, she packed up her things and headed home to the West Coast:
It was nice of her to allow her family members to take care of her luggage ... I'm sure they were happy to get the extra money so close to Xmas. [Source]
Mischa Barton and Cisco Adler got their butts to Aspen, CO to hang out with the likes of Mariah Carey, Heidi Klum, Seal & family and Catherine Zeta Jones ...
It looks like Mischa's little sister tagged along as well ... well, what're the holidays without a cockblocker in tow? [Source]
Jessica Alba spent the days before Xmas shopping at lingerie stores ...
... either she picked up a few things for a super sexy holiday getaway or her mother surely was quite surprised to find crotchless panties underneath the Xmas tree. [Source]
The Olsen Twins also spent considerable time shopping together:
There is nothing new to report here ... it's always the same with these 2. [Source]
Jennifer Aniston spent some time shopping with a friend ...
... or she was on her way to rob a bank ... in either case, she looks happy. [Source]
Eva Longoria couldn't save herself for her sumptuous Xmas feast -- she got an early start on the eats:
I wonder how much of this meal she actually kept down. [Source]
Trishelle (Real World: Las Vegas) busted out the good stuff and got to work on liquoring herself up:
Aww ... just like the first Xmas back in Bethlehem. [thanks Luxurian]
The Hiltons flew down to Hawaii to frolic around at the beach with family and friends:
Ugh ... who invited the Davis brothers?! Well, we should just be happy that Brandon and (the larger) Jason Davis aren't running around in skimpy bathing suits like Ricky and his buddy ... there is something to be said for Xmas blessings! [Source, Source]
Joel Madden spent his Xmas looking cool:
Hangin' out in Beverly Hills ... yeah, he's a pimp. [thanks Claudia]
Jake Gyllenhaal spent his Xmas looking hot:
As if he could do anything else. [Source]
And Jason Alexander spent his Xmas doing nothing but standing around trying to be remembered as Britney Spears' first husband:
I think his days of milking his quickie marriage to Britney are about dunzo ... well, we can hope. [Source]
- Elton John and David Furnish are honeymooning in Venice.
- Anna Nicole Smith gets help from the White House.
- Queen Elizabeth snubs Camilla in her yearly address.
- Tony Parker and Eva Longoria get in trubs with the fuzz, then they get lippy.
- Don Johnson is having another baby.
- Gary Glitter escapes death but is still in mega-trouble.
- Mandy Moore & Zach Braff still goin' strong.
- Bai Ling needs to wear more clothing -- seriously.
- Did Howard Stern get hitched again?
- Sheryl Crow is still buds with former flame Eric Clapton.
- George Clooney and Lucy Liu ... for real?
- Tsunami victims remembered.
Tonight is Sarah's annual holiday party so that will be a blast! I have a ton of things to do today so I have to jet.
This week, I will be posting the lists of my fave things and will be recapping the year in PITNB style. This afternoon I'll post my favorite albums and songs of the year. Tomorrow I'll post my favorite movies and TV shows of the year. Wednesday will be the year in Jake Gyllenhaal review , Thursday will be the year in Spederline review, Friday will be the full year in review and Saturday I'll recap my personal fave moments of the year.
And that is all ... I'm out.