Thursday, June 24, 2004

see, this is why i gave up drinking pop

Texas drink dispenser emits WWI-era poison gas

HOUSTON - An exploding vending machine turned the coolant freon into phosgene, a poisonous gas used as a chemical weapon in World War I, and forced the evacuation of 10 people from a Texas hospital, officials said Thursday ... “When freon gas from the cooling system came into contact with the heat from the fire, it changed composition to a phosgene gas,” Mulliner said ... Phosgene irritates the lungs, eyes, mouth and nose and, in strong enough concentrations, causes fatal amounts of fluid to build up in the lungs.

as if we needed further proof that soda pop was bad for you ... thank goodness i gave the stuff up.