It should come as no surprise that this was my favorite movie of the year. The visuals are stunning and the acting is superb. Heath Ledger is the absolute star of this movie. He is completely transformed as Ennis Delmar and truly outdoes himself in this role. This movie is so much more than a "gay cowboy" movie ... it is a love story that is both touching and extremely heartbreaking all at the same time. If there is any justice at all, this movie will win at least one award (hopefully Best Actor for Heath?) at the Oscars this year.
If Heath Ledger doesn't win the Academy Award it'll be because Philip Seymour Hoffman will win it for sure. If Jake Gyllenhaal had played Harper Lee, this would have been my #1 movie of the year.
Christopher Nolan undid all the horrible things that Joel Schumacher did to the Batman franchise ... and I will be eternally grateful. Christian Bale is, by far, the best Batman ever.
This movie is so innovative in the way it is told ... I loved every moment of it. This movie deserves to be on every Top 10 list merely because it features the Sunshine Singers.
This movie proves that stage plays can be translated into fine films (unlike Closer -- ack). This movie also proves that Gwyneth Paltrow is an amazing actress.
Many people contend that The Secretary is Maggie Gyllenhaal's best movie but I liked her much better in this movie. Hell, she even made Tom Arnold look better in my eyes. Jason Ritter was a revelation ... I fully expect more good things from him.
The 40 Year-Old Virgin:
Hands down, the funniest movie of the year.
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire:
I really, really liked this adaptation of the J.K. Rowling book. The kids are growing up and the movie versions of the books are as well.
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith:
The final chapter in the Star Wars saga ... Hayden Christenson finally got the brooding, menacing vibe down ... okay, maybe he didn't but this movie was a fine final chapter in a long beloved series.
Just as good as any X-Men movie ... and Chris Evans is 98% naked in a good 8 minutes of the film. How can you argue with that?
- Lost: This is the best show on TV. It's engaging to the point of addiction. It's chock full of surprises and mystery. It's probably the most talked about TV show on the Internet. Being home on Wednesday night has become the new tradition.
- 24: This show is so frantic ... what's not to love? It's completely unbelievable that all the things that happen in one season actually happen on one day on the show but ... if you just go with it ... you totally get sucked in.
- Laguna Beach: The Real OC: Team Kristin! Team Kristin! Team Kristin!
- Being Bobby Brown: The best new reality TV show this year ... bar none. Whitney Houston is a crack job ... and I lurve her to death.
- Project Runway: Are you kidding me? Who doesn't love this show?
- Commander In Chief: My fave new show of the year. I've always wondered what it would be like if we had a female president ... it's fun to watch what might actually happen sometime soon.
- Prison Break: This show has a great premise and always brings out new surprises. Robin Tunney is a dream ... and so is Wentworth Miller.
- Invasion: This show slowly overtook me ... it reminds me a bit of the show V from the 80's. I'm hangin' in there in the hopes there will be a big pay off.
- Family Guy: The.Funniest.Show.On.TV.
- Reunion: Call me crazy but I really like this show. I am very upset to know that we may never find out how the story ends ... I really liked this show. I hope it gets saved in some way.