Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Electroclash Of The Titans

Wowzie! The Scissor Sisters were so awesome on this trip back to Detroit. We saw them a few months ago (in June, at The Magic Stick) and they were great then but they were better tonight.

The "opening band" was DJ Sammy Jo and he was the best DJ I've heard in a very long time. His mix was very, very cool -- even Erik was impressed. He played white label mixes of The White Stripes (as soon as this song started, I pointed to him and he smiled and nodded back to me -- D-town love y'all), No Doubt, Deee-Lite, the B-52's and a very cool Star Wars theme megamix AND, I suspect, the new Kylie Minogue song that she recorded with the Scissor Sisters!* He spun for over an hour but it didn't feel that long. DJ Sammy Jo hosts "Tiger Beat" at a New York club called The Slide -- there is a mandatory clothes check upon arrival, everyone must dance in their underwear! I love it!

Anyways, the Sisters ... they rocked so hard. I loved the lights and Jake & Anna were totally on fire. Jake is a hotty (he was wearing unzipped leather pants, woo!) and is so fun and personable onstage. They played a great set (no Electrobix but they did play It Can't Come Quickly Enough) and I had a blast. I was right up front in prime position to take pictures (see the rest of them HERE; remember username: trentsblog password: trentsblog):


Unfortunately, my camera effed up about midway through the show. I later found out that the memory card is corrupted (it has a bad sector that won't allow the camera to write to the card). The point is that I couldn't take as many pictures as I wanted. I finally figured out how to make manual adjustments to the camera so that my concert pictures look better and I couldn't even take a million pictures. I was able to take about 40 and then the card wouldn't allow any more pictures to be written to it. So sadly, I wasn't able to get any pictures with the band after the show I've ordered a new memory card so hopefully this won't be a problem in the future.

If you get a chance to see Scissor Sisters live you better get your ass there. They put on a wicked show. I can't wait for them to come back to the Motor City.

*It has been confirmed that DJ Sammy Jo did, in fact, play the unreleased Kylie/Scissor Sisters song I Believe In You during his set! How cool is that?!