Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Abercrombie & Fitch Ruehls

I can't believe I keep forgetting to talk about this awesome new store that Brandon and I stumbled upon while we were in Chicago all those weeks ago. He and I were ambling along in the mall in Schaumburg (while Erik, Kirsten and Mike were shopping at IKEA) and we came upon this weird looking storefront. There was a cute girl out front who asked us if we had ever been inside this new store. She told it us it was called Ruehl (pronounced "Rule") and invited us in. This is what it looks like from the outside:


We went it and were immediately impressed. The store is big and looks like you are walking into a Brownstone apartment in New York. Each room has clothes in it with one side for men and the other side, across the hall, for women. I liked it but we were in a hurry and I really didn't get a chance to really shop there.


Well, it turns out that there are only 5 Ruehl No. 925 (Get it? It's like an address) stores in the country so far -- with one of them opening here near Detroit at Twelve Oaks Mall this past Saturday.


The store is owned by Abercrombie & Fitch and has a target shopping audience of late 20's & 30-year-olds. I guess the idea is once college-aged A&F shoppers have graduated and are looking for their first jobs then they will "graduate" and shop at Ruehl. I get that, their stuff is very nice -- I can get some nice work clothes there. There is a whole "living in New York" fantasy behind the store's concept, which launched in late summer/early fall.

Anyways, I'm sure I'm going to love shopping at the new store (at least more than I like shopping at Hollister). If you see a weird-looking Brownstone-inspired store at your local mall ... check it out from the inside. It Ruehls!