Friday, August 13, 2004
Penny Marshall and Cindy Williams (also known as Laverne & Shirley) got stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame on Thursday. I think that is so cool. I loved that show very much when I was a little kid. I couldn't be happier. I think this recognition is well-deserved!
Now for the rest of today's news:
- Let the Games begin -- check out Hot Olympian of the Day. Woo!
- Have you been noticing that a bunch of Toys 'R' Us stores have been closing? Sadly, the company is in grave danger of closing all of its stores. Battered by intense competition from discounters such as Wal-Mart, Toys "R" Us announced yesterday that it may bow out of the toy business altogether. I cannot even express how sad this makes me. To think that a giant company like Toys 'R' Us would close down because of effing Wal-mart is very very disheartening. I cannot imagine a world where there is no Toys 'R' Us. Can you imagine saying to the children of the future, "You know, when I was little there where whole stores that sold nothing but toys."
- Anyone But Bush: Barbie is running for president! Barbie thinks she knows who can make a difference in this year's presidential race - girls - and she's the one who is going to represent them. Apparently, her platform can be found at Barbie.com but I couldn't find it. I'm still looking for her military records. Normally, I would throw my support to the PINK party but if this little bitch takes votes away from John Kerry I'm going to be pissed!
- Check out Alanis Morissette's video for Eight Easy Steps HERE. It is made up of every video that Alanis has ever done, including footage from her days on You Can't Do That On Television and childhood home movies. Her face and mouth have been digitally altered to move in sync with the lyrics to the song Eight Easy Steps -- it's freaky but kickass, y'all.
- When it comes to the subject of Scientology, don't piss off Tom Cruise. "Some people, well, if they don't like Scientology, well, then, fuck you." He rises from the table. "Really." He points an angry finger at the imaginary enemy. "Fuck you." His face reddens. "Period." And you wonder why people think that Scientologists are whack-jobs. Read more of Tom's take on his religion in his Rolling Stone interview HERE.
- Justin Timberlake says he is done with N*Sync. Timberlake "doesn't want any part" of a planned 'N Sync reunion, a source says in People. "Justin said he's not in the mood and doesn't think it will work," the spy tells the magazine. Well duh, why in the hell would he want to share the fame and fortune with 4 other guys? He is making loads by himself. I know he'd have a hard time sharing the lime light again. Justin to N*Sync: Bye, Bye Bye!
- Jay-Z is now a part owner of the New Jersey Nets. Is it ironic that he holds a minority interest in the team?
- Fred Savage got married but NOT to Winnie Cooper. He actually got married last Saturday but it wasn't announced until this Wednesday. Isn't it shocking that a big star like Fred Savage can get married and no one even hears about it until he issues a press release?
- popbytes is quoting a story that Scarlett Johansson is looking to hook up with Jake Gyllenhaal but it is my contention that she is actually trying to hook up with Jared Leto. I suppose she could be seeing both (I mean how does one choose between Jordan Catalano and Donnie Darko?) but she was seen with Jared just last week. I guess we'll see who she ends up with.
PS: Welcome back, VLB
PPS: Julia Child just died.