Monday, August 23, 2004

Art Attack

What horrible news! Armed thieves burst into an Oslo museum in bold daylight on Sunday and stole two paintings by Edvard Munch, one of which was the famous painting The Scream. Sarah sent me this news yesterday afternoon:

Two masked robbers ran into the Munch Museum, threatened staff with a handgun and forced people to lie down before grabbing "The Scream," an icon of existential angst showing a waif-like figure against a blood-red sky, and "Madonna" ... Some stunned visitors said they feared they were victims of a terror attack. The men simply walked out the front door -- with one painting bumping on the ground -- and escaped in a stolen black Audi car driven by a third man, police said ... Worth millions of dollars, the pictures are among Munch's best-known, even though he produced several versions of both 1893 works. "Madonna" shows a mysterious bare-breasted woman with flowing black hair.

I am at a complete loss for words. I cannot believe the brazenness of these horrible art thieves. I hope the paintings are recovered safely and are returned to their rightful place. The Scream is the first piece of art that I have ever had a fondness for. In college, I had a framed print of the painting hanging in my room. Sarah and I took a week-long trip to Toronto and were able to see original Munch sketches for The Scream -- the closest I've ever been to the real thing.

In other news:
And that is all. I'm trying to find a high quality version of the barefoot Britney picture that is making the rounds on various blogs. It's nasty, Britney walking out of a gas station bathroom barefoot! But, to tide you over here is a nice picture of Kevin sending (receiving?) money at Western Union:



Gotta love these two.