Tuesday, August 31, 2004
Tomorrow is going to be another mind-numbing experience as the entire faculty must endure day long meetings that are sure to plunge us to the depths of mindless insanity. Woo Hoo, can you tell that I love my job?
Actually, I do love my job, it's just the extraneous influences that go along with my job that I loathe (not to mention certain administrators who make me want to seethe with intense hatred).
I have had such a great summer playing around with my blog. I've been able to generate an audience made up of readers from around the world (which I think is pretty cool). I am going to do my very best to keep the level of content on par with what I've been doing all summer. I may wax ecstatic on the various mundane things that are sure to occur on a day-to-day basis (I'm telling you folks, I bitch about work A LOT) but will try and temper that stuff with more the interesting celeb skewering that I know many of you like to read. I happily accept suggestions and recommendations so please feel free to contact me.
I'm wiped ... I think I'm going to retire for the evening. Tomorrow won't be a busy day, just an early and boring one. Bring it on, I say, tomorrow is another day!*
*Was that believable? Did I sound excited? Eh, I didn't think so.
Art that breeds limes with rotten peaches blurs the line between art and evolution with bizarre results.
The video was presented by Weird.tv which tends to deal with topics that are out-of-the-ordinary. I really hope that you are able to see this video. It is unclear how long the video will be on the site for viewing so head on over there and check it out as soon as you can. It took me FOREVER to find the right software to create screen captures from the video but I finally found the right program that would do what I needed it to do. Here are a lot of screen captures of Brian explaining his artwork (click the image below to see it larger):
Here are screen shots of some of Brian's featured artwork (click the image below to see it larger):
Wow, I can't even explain how cool I think Brian's artwork is! I loved every piece that was discussed. In June, when Erik and I went to LA for a week, we were able to attend one of Brian's art shows. I was majorly impressed then ... but I think I like this stuff better. It's too bad that the video is only 6-minutes long, it seems to end too quickly.
As I said, I hope you are able to check it out.
I do have to say, though, that it is disgusting how the Republicans are doing whatever they can to rehash the tragedy of 9/11 and use it for their political advantage. By choosing New York City as the site of their convention, they are doing everything they can to manipulate the horrible events of that day to cast themselves in a favorable light. The fact that it is working on some people is totally gross to me. It is easy for them to say whatever they want because they know that a vast majority of the U.S. people have not and will not read the 9/11 Commission Report and thereby not know the truth about how that day came to be.
I just gnash my teeth at how this administration has ruined our nation and am dumbfounded at the level of support GWB gets regardless of his infinite idiocy. I do not understand, for the life of me, how anyone can listen to this man speak and honestly think that he has a clue in his tiny little brain? The man cannot pronounce words! Ugh, it's an old argument and I'm not going to get into it again. I will never support or endorse GWB -- never ever. Heaven help us all.
- Wheaties cereal has decided not to put Paul Hamm on their boxes. Michael Phelps (swimming), Carly Patterson (woman's gymnastics) and Justin Gatlin (track) are the only gold medal Olympians who were asked to be on the box.
- Steven Baldwin is at the Republican National Convention in support of GWB saying, "I'm there to support the man I believe has the most faith. That's who I'm voting for. I believe the next president should be a guy who is being led by God. I believe there is one guy, and that's the guy I want to vote for." What? Since when is Steven Baldwin a religious nut-ball?
- Madonna is making a pilgrimage to Israel to celebrate the Jewish holidays. She will be accompanied by such luminaries as Hugh Jackman and his wife, Deborra-Lee Furness, as well as Donna Karan. No word on whether or not Britters will make an appearance.
- Victoria Gotti has been telling people that one of her son's is going to Harvard. If this is true, she must be richer than I thought she was. If you've seen the show and any of her 3 sons, then you know what I'm talking about.
- Today is the 7-year anniversary of Princess Diana's death. I cannot believe that it has been that long!
Monday, August 30, 2004
This movie had a very awesome story and the visuals were completely stunning. It was a little confusing to follow but I did get it. I'm not sure what I was expecting but it was really, really good. I love how seamless the fight scenes appear. When you've got martial artists jumping on water and slicing through rain drops and it's made to look real -- that is impressive. Diana, I think you are really going to love this movie.
Tomorrow I have a full day at work. I will be booked pretty solid from 8am to 3pm so I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to write in the morning -- we'll see.
I'm about to spend the rest of the night with Erik so I'm signing off for today. I must implore you to read today's post at Whatevs.org -- it's completely hilarious and completely right on!
I guess this whole rant came from the empty feeling I got when the Video Music Awards were over. It's not so much that Britney didn't win an award (even though, I might add, that Toxic was hands down one of the most successful and beloved songs/videos of the year and SHOULD HAVE won an award) and it's not even so much that she didn't perform (though one of her show-stoppers would have been most excellent to watch) but the fact that she wasn't even there to walk the red carpet or be shown sitting in the audience ... I dunno, I guess I just really missed her presence at this year's Video Music Awards. This is the first year that she has not either performed or attended the VMAs ... the first time!
I'm sure she'll be up to no good soon enough (wherever will she show up in her bare feet next?) and I'll be raggin' on her again but right now, I'm her biggest fan again. I miss you Brit!
I know that some of you miss her too so I have something cool to share with you. UBritney.com has acquired a 15 second clip of My Prerogative which is just long enough to give you a taste of how the song is going to sound. I've played it a couple of times and I have to say me likey! Check it out for yourself, I've linked it on the sidebar under Share The Love.
Well, the VMAs are so done -- let's see what else is going on:
- Laura Branigan, who had a big hit in the 80's with the song Gloria, died on Thursday but news of it didn't come out until the weekend. She died pretty young, it's very sad.
- David and Victoria Beckham have announced that they are going to have their third child next March. They are sneaky, sneaky because a few weeks ago they swore that
PoshVicky was not preggers. In any regard, congratulations to them!
- Hero was the #1 movie of the weekend. I've yet to see it but according to Mike it's not to be missed. I hope to see it soon (perhaps tonight).
- Morrissey shocked his audience by performing a couple Smith's songs at a concert in the U.K. this weekend, he opened with How Soon Is Now?. The Mozfather’s set included The Smiths’ ’Shoplifters Of The World Unite’ and ’There Is A Light That Never Goes Out’, solo classics ’November Spawned A Monster’ and ’Everyday Is Like Sunday’ as well as recent hits ’Irish Blood, English Heart’ and ’First Of The Gang To Die’. How exciting! Hopefully he'll play a few of these gems when he tours the states this fall!
- Sky News is reporting that the song that Kylie Minogue recorded with the Scissor Sisters was written for and about her boyfriend Olivier Martinez. Hmmm ... we'll see about that.
- Did you know that The Internet turned 35 years old yesterday? Finally, something OLDER than me!
Sunday, August 29, 2004
The only surprise of the night was that Ashlee and Ryan showed up TOGETHER and holding hands. Veeeery interesting ... either they're the best of friends or they are so back together. Dave Chapelle was pretty funny and I actually laughed outloud when the announcer said "Together again, Mandy Moore and Marilyn Manson" -- that was pretty funny. Otherwise, I'll have to give this year's VMAs a big 2 poops on the floor. I am so over Usher and Jay-Z, so so over them. I was reading the offical VMA thread at Say Hey! and someone summed up the whole thing best by saying:
Catwoman was better than this!
I couldn't agree more.
We did click over during the commercials to the closing ceremonies of the Olympics which were not as interesting as the opening ceremonies but, eh, what do you expect? They had a lot of fireworks:
And a lot of dancing. Tonight wasn't that fun entertainment-wise. It was fun hanging out with Erik, VLB and Rod though ... the night's only saving grace.
Access Hollywood Says...
...that Britney and Kevin will get married live on stage at the MTV Video Music Awards, or well at least, that's what MTV apparently wants you to believe, either because it's true, or because they want some serious serious ratings....
At best, she may perform My Prerogative as a surprise show-opener (or final performance) but I am not holding my breath on that account either. I'm hoping that she wins an award at least, that would be coolio. There are rumors, still, that she will not attend the VMAs altogether. MTV has secured her (and a guest) a seat in the audience.
I can't wait for the show to start!
The marchers, estimated by organizers to reach as many as 250,000, passed the Madison Square Garden convention site as Republicans and visitors arrived in the city for the four day gathering where Bush will be nominated for another four years in the White House ... "He (Bush) is ruining the country that I knew as a child growing up," said Joan Azulay, a retiree from Austin, Texas, who complained of the president's policies on health care, the environment, taxes and foreign policy ... The start of the march took on a carnival atmosphere with people carrying large banners, shouting "no more Bush" and beating drums. The heat and humidity pushed the temperature to almost 85 degrees Fahrenheit (29 Celsius).
I am so encouraged by this outpouring of protest against the GWB administration. I know that the RNC was hoping that by having their convention in New York they could exploit the memory of 9/11. I really hope that these protests dwarf their stupid convention and really show what New York thinks of the current administration and their policies.
We need a regime change, and the people of New York agree!
We awoke to watch an E! Special on Kaballah and celebrities and then started watching a 3-hour E! Special on Britney Spears. I had to jet, though, so I finished watching the Britney thing at home.
Tonight VLB and Rod are coming over to watch the Olympic Closing Ceremonies. Sarah might come over to watch the VMAs so it might be a big old party.
Saturday, August 28, 2004
Anyways, that is not the reason for this post. It turns out that she worked with Björk on the track Oceania, the version of which didn't make it onto Björk's album Medúlla. The track is only available on a promo version of the Oceania single but has made its way onto the Internet. The ambitious folks at Say Hey! are offering the track for download for a limited time. You can get the link HERE and check it out for yourself. I like it. I am a fan of the original but this remixed version with Kelis on vocals is very cool as well. I am going to try and get my paws on the promo single so that I can own the song rightfully, but the track that is available for download is pretty high quality (192 kps).
I've been toying with the idea of linking some hot MP3s directly on my blog -- so I've added those links on the right, let me know what you think.
After dinner, we went up to the Carnival that has happening 2 blocks away. Most of us rode the pirate ship (which was actually called The Pharoah's Revenge) but Andy (the birthday boy) opted out. Steve won a cheesey prize at one of the games and then we made Andy go through a hall of mirrors-type thing. Let me tell you, it was hijinks all the way around. The funniest thing that happened was when a carny called Adam "Wall Street" because of the way he was dressed (tight long-sleeve shirt, A&F cargo shorts and flip-flops) -- he yelled out "Hey Wall Street, win a prize for the lady," it has hilarious!
We also managed to take funny pictures:
Then we went to a bar and sat outside on the patio. That is, until it started to pour down rain (which was kind of cold). We retreated inside but it was too crowded so we went up the street to another bar ... in the POURING (COLD) RAIN! As I said, I lost my shoe in the middle of the street -- it was very traumatic! We didn't stay for long though. The pix I took didn't turn out that great because the lighting really sucked, but I really like the way that this one turned out:
We got home and I bathed my feet twice. Then Mike came over to spend the weekend with us. We are about to head out and face the day. More to come ...
Friday, August 27, 2004
I'll have details and photos soon.
I love the faces she makes when the paparazzi are hunting her down. Lately, Britters has been seen wearing actual shoes (finally) and a lot has been made of the fact that she is out with her assistant and without Kevvy (Click the picture to see a larger version). I no longer believe the break-up rumors. I'm pretty sure they are going to go ahead with the marriage. Britney is up for a few VMAs this Sunday and she and "a guest" are scheduled to appear. I'm hoping that she will do a surprise performance though. In any regard, I can't wait to see what she will wear -- I really can't wait to see what K. Fed will show up wearing. If he wears a wife-beater I swear I will scream! I can't even imagine what he would look like in a suit or something like that.
I must admit, as funny as Britney's face is it's not as hilarious as her assistant Felicia's face:
No one knew who he was, so he became known as the Turtle. No one knew what his turtles meant. An art gallery put a $1,000 bounty on his head. Former Wayne County Prosecutor Mike Duggan vowed to throw him in prison. For more than a year, he remained underground.
Law enforcement officials have established the identity of the Turtle, but they cracked the case too late. The new prosecutor, Kym Worthy, focused on Detroit's increase in violent crime and hindered by budget constraints, has made graffiti a low priority. She's not interested in the Turtle. Cops say they'll arrest him only if they catch him in the act. They are not following him.
And the Turtle?
He says he is no longer the Turtle. Or "Turtl," "Trdl" or "Turdl," as he variously tagged his drawings.
Interesting! His name is Ronald?! And the boy is WHITE! I never expected him to be a white boy. What a letdown. It's surprising that they are just going to let him go. There have been lots of articles (Writing On The Wall, Turtle Drawings Deface Detroit Landmarks, GRAFFITI: TURTLE MANIA) about how they were just itching to arrest this guy once he was found out.
If you are interested you can get your own Turtl apparel HERE.
Scherz [insists] his tagging days are over.
Sad day for Detroit Rock City.
Incidentally, Grambo @ Whatevs.org is talking about this too but I got the email from Stephanie early this morning and just haven't had a chance to blog about it until now. But hey, great bloggers think alike.
Ok, now the background sound of the commercial is a heartbeat with some music, you see Britney and a guy opening their hotel room doors at the same time. They look at each other, like pause on each other for like few seconds then each one of them goes inside the room, then both of them get close to each other, while each of them is in their room, as you see the pic above, and as they touch the wall together you start to see quick video shots moving really fast, these shots include Britney and the guy kissing on bed, rolling in bed, a beach, a flower, a bull, kid holding 2 dolls, a real heart beating, and a door knob. Yeah, like freaky unrelated stuff. Then you go back to the scene where they where touching the wall. Britney removes her hands off the wall and goes back with a look like "what the hell just happened", it's like that touch caused her to see all these fast video shots in her brain. And that's it, then they show you a Curious Perfume picture. The commercial is 30 seconds by the way.
Sounds like a pretty cool commercial. I just know it, once she's back on MTV and looking all glam at public events all this white-trash behavior will be forgotten. Whatever, it's Britney and everyone will still love her.
Have you heard that GWB is a douchebag? His campaign is trying to use the Olympic Games for his political gain. The U.S. Olympic Committee has asked that he stop manipulating images in his political ads that appear to align the Olympic Games with his re-election campaign. The International Olympic Committee and the USOC have the authority to regulate the use of anything involving the Olympics ... An act of Congress, last revised in 1999, grants the USOC exclusive rights to such terms as "Olympic," derivatives such as "Olympiad" and the five interlocking rings ... It also specifically says the organization "shall be nonpolitical and may not promote the candidacy of an individual seeking public office." But, GWB has decided to use the AD anyways, his campaign will not pull the AD. Bush campaign spokesman Scott Stanzel said the ads will continue through Sunday, the final day of the Athens Games ... "We are on firm legal ground to mention the Olympics to make a factual point in a political advertisement," Stanzel said. What a shitty thing to do. I'm sorry but using images from the Olympics and from the 9/11 terrorist attacks is complete bullshit! I loathe that man and his entire administration. I cannot wait until we finally elect John Kerry as our next president.
Let's see what else is going on (I hate writing this line in some form or another every day, does anyone have a suggestion on what I should write instead?):
- Ashlee Simpson is set to perform at the VMA preshow this Sunday. I wonder if there will be any surprise performances at this year's VMAs?
- Tommy Hilfiger is set to star in his own reality series. This seems like a dubious thing to do after he has told the world that his daughter, Ally Hilfiger, had to go into drug rehab after her stint on MTV's Rich Girls. I wonder if he'll be hanging out with Jamie Gleicher now that she and Ally are no longer friends? [goss via Whatevs.org]
- Tommy Lee is set to star in his own reality series. This seems like a dubious thing to do after ... hey wait, didn't I just write about this? Oh, right, that was another Tommy. Anyways, Tommy Lee is going back to school and has decided to have cameras follow him on his scholastic endeavor. I bet it'll be funny as hell. Who am I kidding, of course I'm going to watch this shizz!
- Yipes! Killer Bees seem to be invading Oklahoma! OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- A swarm of bees that attacked a work crew earlier this month may be of the Africanized variety, which would mark the furthest north the so-called "killer" bees have traveled in the United States, scientists said. And I thought fish flies where bad ... eek!
- It turns out that Paris Hilton never lost her dog -- Tinkerbelle was right where she left it (at her grandparent's house) except she forgot that she left it here and thought it was missing. According to a friend of hers, it seems that Paris, in slightly cloudy shape, had dropped the pup off at her grandparents' house. When Tinkerbelle's plight started getting press, the grandparents' housekeeper called and reminded Paris where her pooch was. A rep for Hilton denied the story. Hahahaha! I totally believe the story!
- Anne Heche, America's favorite Hasbian, is set to join the cast of Everwood on the WB. There's got to be a joke in there somewhere, I just can't come up with it right now.
- The great battle rages on -- is it "Pop" or "Soda"? THIS site explains it all.
Thursday, August 26, 2004
After I was done at ULS I went to Barbarella for my haircut. I decided that I want to keep the length of my hair and just get it thinned out. So Sandra (who is featured in a great Freep.com ARTICLE on Hamtramck) fixed my tips and thinned out my hair. She loved the way it looked, I did too. I invited both her and Julie (lead singer of The Fondas, who works with Sandra at Barbarella) to our housewarming party so hopefully they can make it.
Anyways, after I got home I crashed for a bit. I stayed up late last night and had to get up early today so I was in need of a nappy-wappy. Erik had plans to hang out with Kirsten tonight so I only got to see him for a little bit before he had to go out.
While perusing the various topics at Say Hey! I came across a post by a user named Arch Dandy (he has a livejournal HERE). He found a high quality MP3 of Marilyn Manson's cover of Depeche Mode's Personal Jesus. You can download the track by right-clicking HERE (the link will be up for 7 days so get it while you can). I think the cover is just O.K. It's a pretty standard cover. I was expecting Marilyn Manson to really change it up and make it their own (it does have Marilyn Manson elements to it) but they just didn't do anything new and fresh with the song. Eh, it's O.K. The MM Greatest Hits cd Lest We Forget is released on September 28th. Here is the tracklist:
1. The Love Song
2. Personal Jesus
4. The Fight Song
5. Tainted Love
6. The Dope Show
7. This Is The New Shit
8. Disposable Teens
9. Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)
12. Rock Is Dead
13. Get Your Gunn
14. The Nobodies
15. Long Hard Road Out Of Hell
16. The Beautiful People
17. The Reflecting God
You can pre-order your copy HERE.
Tonight I got caught up watching the Simple Life 2 marathon on Fox. Hahahah! I have only seen a few episodes from the first season and none of the episodes from this second season and Oh.My.God is it hilarious! Shane has always been raving about how much he loves Paris Hilton (and I'm always reading about how MK at popbytes.com is a fan) and now I know why. On the show, Paris is the calmer one compared to Nicole Richie. They are so funny to watch. And I love the sound effects (I think the "boing" is my favorite one). I'm not sure when it happened but I've slowly grown more fond of Paris Hilton. She used to annoy me but now I find her one "sexy bitch". I never even had an opinion on Nicole but she's pretty damn funny. I loved it when the girls stayed with the very religous Cash family who kept chiding them for their foul language. As the girls were driving away, and after the family prayed for them, Nicole yells out "You guys fucking rock!" I swear, I about fell to the floor in hysterics. I have to admit, though, that the season finale was kind of anti-climactic. They finished their road trip and that was that. I can't believe that I'm about to say this but I hope they do a Simple Life 3. Not sure what they would do but I think I'd like to see more.
All I can say is that I "loves it!"
Tomorrow I have to do the morning thing at work again and I might visit my parents in the afternoon. Erik and I are meeting up with the gang to celebrate Andy's birthday tomorrow night so that should be a blast. So, for tonight, I'm audi.
There are rumors (none that I can quote ... yet) going around that by wearing this shirt she is hinting that the wedding will be sooner than November. I've even heard that it might take place on Labor Day weekend. We now know that the surprise ending to her upcoming My Prerogative video will show Britney meeting Kevvy at the altar. Wouldn't it be funny if they really did get married while filming the video? It makes sense, her brother has a cameo in the video and I suspect she'd have other family on the set -- why not just get married right under everybody's noses; right in front of everybody's faces? Then the video will forever be a record of her
Oh and just in case you want to see more picture of Britney and her latest barefoot restroom romp there are a lot more pictures to see HERE. There are even a few of her barefoot in a convenience store. Oi!
What else is going on in the world:
- Navy records corroborate John Kerry's version of what happened to him in Vietnam. The March 18, 1969, weekly report from Task Force 115, which was located by The Associated Press during a search of Navy archives, is the latest document to surface that supports Kerry's description of an event for which he won a Bronze Star and a third Purple Heart. In other news, Bob Dole is still an asshole. Dole also says that he thinks Kerry should stop talking about what a "great veteran" he was, that he thinks the American people admire the "quiet heroes" and it pays to "not talk about yourself so much." In such an important election as this one I think it is IMPERATIVE that the presidential nominees talk about their military history. I can't wait for GWB to dare to flaunt his military career. Bring it on Dubya!
- Who knew that Blair Warner would turn out to be such a psycho bitch?! Lisa Whelchel is an advocate of Hot Saucing kids as a form of discipline. "[The practice of "hot saucing" a child's tongue as a method of discipline] does sting and the memory stays with them so that the next time they may actually have some self-control and stop before they lie or bite or something like that," Whelchel said on ABC News' Good Morning America. I do not believe that Mrs. Garrett would approve. Whelchel has an insane-o website that talks about her discipline beliefs. You should read her stuff on home schooling. She even has a blog! Check it out HERE. [goss via Whatevs.org]
- The Wayans Bros. are set to make a movie based on The Munsters. The good news is that none of the Wayans Bros. will actually star in the movie.
- X-tina was seen puking out of her limousine but claims that she is not pregnant. But what I want to know is whether or not she was wearing shoes. It's a valid question these days.
- Farnsworth Bentley needs to get an effing life! Dumb story about his name change HERE. [goss via Whatevs.org]
- Abercrombie & Fitch gets yelled at for picking on West Virginia, again. The entire state of West Virginia takes offense at t-shirt that reads "West Virginia: No Lifeguard at the Gene Pool" "It is unfortunate that Abercrombie & Fitch continues to perpetuate stereotypes rather than positive things like the number of residents serving in the military or the state's PROMISE scholarship program," [W. Virginia Governor] Wise spokeswoman Jodi Omear said Wednesday. Yawn! You can order your own shirt HERE.
- Wal-Mart is now offering White Trash Weddings. Neither bride nor groom work at the discount store. Still, they spend more time there than many employees do, wandering the aisles and visiting friends for up to six hours a day, nearly every day since the store opened two years ago ... "It never dawned on me to have it anyplace else," said the 55-year-old bride. God, I hope Britney doesn't catch wind of this. Oh wait, what am I worried about, Wal-Mart has a strict No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service policy ... which I bet isn't strictly enforced ... God, I hope Britney doesn't catch wind of this.
- Morrissey has announced more tour dates and will be visiting The State Theater in Detroit on October 17th. You know that I'm going to be there ... who else wants to accompany This Charming Man? [Yeah, I know that was a horrible line but hey, they can't all be gems ... you get what you get]
- THIS is just one of the many reasons I love reading 1115.org -- you should be reading too.
Yesterday, I ended up not going into work. I stayed home and read my text book trying to get ideas for class lecture topics. It was fun (that was sarcasm). Erik and I had an extremely fun time hanging out with Scary Sarah and Jeremy at their place in Hammy Trammy. It was so nice hanging out with them again. Scary had just gotten an amazing tattoo on her chest of a Mexican Day of the Dead sugar skull.
Isn't it freaking awesome?! We've made plans to hang out some more so I'm very much looking forward to that. I think we're planning on having them over for dinner with us in The Shores.
Today I really have to go into work. I'm attending a 2-hour seminar for first year teachers from 9am to 11am. Later on I have a haircut appointment at 3pm. I shall return.
Wednesday, August 25, 2004
As you can see, Britney is on the cover of this week's US Weekly. I can't imagine why on earth they would label her "Bridezilla". Apparently, it's her mother that is going nuts over the wedding plans (working towards having the tabloid magazines pay for part of the wedding and/or comp the honeymoon). It's not like Britney can afford to pay for her own lavish nuputals even though she paid for her own engagement ring. But anyways, I don't think Britney cares much for any of that stuff, she's too busy running around restrooms in her bare feet or she's out shopping for new clothes [goss via Scott @ Stereogum.com]
I think I see a boobie in pic #2. I don't know who in the hell she is trying to kid by holding up that boot as if she were interested in purchasing it. We know for damn sure that she ain't gonna be caught wearin' no shoes.
Oh Britney, don't do anything for a few hours ... I have to run out and do some errands ...
I love that I can say that I am good friends with the sexy model you see here. This lovely model is wearing an official Ruthless Reviews t-shirt. And what is Ruthless Reviews you might wonder? It is an effing cool site that offers scathing but funny reviews on almost everything. I think my favorite thing on the site is The Ruthless Guide to 80's Action:
The brain trust here at Ruthless spent some time figuring out just what exactly made a shoot 'em up flick in the 80's so much better than the identical film shot in some other decade. That task took all of about five minutes. Firstly, action films from the 80's are all exceedingly homoerotic ... Furthermore, the heroes of these great films are men who in real life could actually beat the living fuck out of you ... Finally, 80's Action films have a definite right-wing slant to them.
My sentiments exactly. You should check out the site for some other great pearls of wisdom ... and don't forget to buy a t-shirt -- the model needs to eat.
Woo! Amy Acker (who played Fred on Angel) will be the voice of The Huntress in the cartoon Justice League: Unlimited.
I think that this news is pretty kickass -- I love Amy Acker. JL:U is just an expanded version of Justice League; there are just many more superheroes in the League now.
And now for today's goss:
- Kevin is going to be in Britney's new video! Scheduled to debut in early September, the video will feature Spears dressed in a wedding gown and walking down the aisle with Federline. According to People, she'll also be seen in her undies--after cutting off the straps of her wet dress with a kitchen knife because she's driven her car into a pool. (Don't you hate when that happens.) I knew it! With him in the video it's doomed ... her career is doomed I tell you! Mother Spears couldn't be happier though: "Please look for that good looking hunk of a son of mine in the video--he has a cameo right at the beginning." Puke! It's so over for Britters.
- Don't mess with Bea Arthur, she'll cut ya! She caused a terrorist scare at Boston's Logan International Airport when she tried to board a flight with a pocketknife in her purse. The 81-year-old kept yelling things about "terrorists". I'm surprised she didn't get maced.
- Well how about that -- a Bush campaign lawyer has been linked to the group that has been attacking John Kerry's Vietnam record. Bush's campaign insists it has no relationship with the group and has denied Kerry's charge that it is a front for the president's re-election team. But, The Bush campaign declined to comment on the disclosure that Ginsberg is tied to the Swift Boat group, which has run a series of television commercials assailing Kerry and accusing him of lying about his service during the Vietnam war. This whole smear campaign reeks of GWB. He needs to be ousted!
- Cheney supports same-sex marriage ... well kind of. He said, "Lynne and I have a gay daughter, so it's an issue our family is very familiar with,'' Cheney told an audience that included his daughter. "With the respect to the question of relationships, my general view is freedom means freedom for everyone ... People ought to be free to enter into any kind of relationship they want to." I bet GWB really loves him now.
- Kelly Osbourne to star this fall in a show on ABC called Life As We Know It as a fat girl who endures scornful comments from schoolmates. I have no comment.
- MTV reports that Gwen Stefani's solo album (thus far untitled) will be released in mid-November with the first single to hit radio in October. That's what I'm talking about, specifics, I wanted specifics, y'all.
- The state of Illinois is claiming that Dave Matthews shat upon "more than 100 people". Wanna know more, read THIS article.
- In case you missed it, THIS article has all the key elements of John Kerry's appearance on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart.
PS: That piece of chewed up Britney Spears gum that is for sale on eBay is up to $1,828.66. I won't bid on anything until someone offers up one of her toenails.
Tuesday, August 24, 2004
Clearly, it is a different bathroom on a different day (although, this restroom appears to also be a unisex restroom). Can someone PLEASE explain to me how a woman worth millions of dollars, who has the ability to obtain the most expensive and beautiful shoes in the world and who is known the world over can possibly find nothing wrong with walking in her bare feet into a public restroom. I am just so grossed out by the whole thing.
What I don't understand is why she doesn't just get a cheap pair of flip-flops from either Diesel, Abercrombie & Fitch, Target or even Wal-Mart?! It would be so easy for her to just slip on some flip-flops or even socks. Hahahah! Socks would be better than bare feet!!!
It's too bad she's not touring -- I would bring her a $4.99 pair of flip-flops to wear when she goes out.
This first picture is Britney waiting to occupy the public restroom and the other 3 are from later on the same day (different top) as she is walking in a Blockbuster parking lot. Click the picture to see a larger version. She looks like a complete mess. Her skirt is all over the place. It used to be sexy when she showed her thong. This is just too much. I may have to start praying for her.
UPDATE: Oh lord, get a load of these dogs:
The poor things look like they need to be burned. Would you touch these things?! I bet they smell lovely.
Both the transgendered woman and the psychologist warned of the high suicide rate of kids who deal with these issues. I just couldn't believe how accepting her audience was over this controversial topic. I can only imagine what the housewives in Kansas and Iowa were thinking. After the adult transgendered woman told her story of hardship growing up as a woman trapped in a man's body the unaccepting father decided that he was going to be more accepting of his son (promising to allow his son have the dolls that he yearns to play with). It was very touching. Erik got home from work early and watched much of this show with me. We were just dumbfounded at what we were watching. The times have truly changed. I say, if Oprah Winfrey can open some very dangerous closed minds by showcasing these types of stories then I say more power to her. There is no other person who can highlight these issues and make them palatable for mass consumption. Of course I know that she isn't going to make homophobic people change their minds on a broad scale, but I'm sure she can change some minds. And that is better than nothing.
But, Oprah's got commercial breaks too so I was able to switch over to VH-1 and watch today's episode of Totally Obsessed (the afternoon's TV entertainment wasn't all serious and important). Oh.My.God, I'm not kidding, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle chick is completely OUT of her EFFING mind!
In her interview, she just sounded crazy. A description will not do her insanity justice. You have to see it for yourself. It wasn't until she started singing the song "Follow Your Heart" from some Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles musical that I about fell off the couch in hysterics (you must witness this for yourself). She is the subject of a Detroit Free Press article and another separate Freep.com article in case you miss the show and want to read about her. I am *so* proud that she is from Detroit. What is it in the water around here that can spawn a Madonna, an Eminem and a woman who is totally obsessed with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? Probably the same stuff that would make a 30-year-old guy write about all of them ... Obsessively! Anyways, the show airs TONIGHT at 11pm on VH-1. Do yourself a favor and watch it.
BTW, Judge Judy was hilarious as always. We love her!
Hahahaha! Would you like to own this:
It used to belong to Britney Spears and you can bid on it HERE. You better hurry though, the price is up to $460.96.
I'll have to go into work for a bit so let's get to the goss:
- Holy Shizz!!! John Kerry is going to appear on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart tonight! If you missed Bill Clinton on the show a few weeks ago, shame on you, don't miss this one. [buzz via Uncle Grambo]
- Ellen DeGeneres is the new George Burns. She's set to star as GOD in a remake of the 1977 film Oh God!. I love that GOD is really a lesbian.
- Shania Twain's brother was busted in a drug bust. Darryl Christopher Twain, 30, faces drug- trafficking charges after Edmonton cops unearthed about $7,000 worth of rock cocaine hidden in a car late last week ... "It's called rock cocaine and they're spit-ball-sized," said Weiler. "There were over 170 of these spitballs throughout the car. It's significant. Officers are happy whenever they can get illicit drugs off the street. And $7,000 is a pretty good haul." Bummer! What is that playground rhyme about someone's mamma using crack rock? I suppose one could substitute mamma with brutha.
- Crikey! Athens is set to surpass Sydney in Olympic viewership. Apparently, Greece is the word.
- Purple Reign, again. Prince's Purple Rain is re-released on DVD today, its 20th anniversary. I love the Darling Nikki performance, shoot, where did I leave that magazine I was ... reading ...
- Oh yeah, The Passion of the Christ also comes out on DVD today. Should I or shouldn't I?
- Chloe Sevigny talks about the job she gave in the upcoming movie The Brown Bunny in THIS article. "It's an art film. It should be playing in museums. It's like an Andy Warhol movie." I can't wait to see it.
- Scott (at) Stereogum has outed a bunch of celebs that are Bush supporters, see the list HERE. Shannen Doherty is an effing bitch!
And I guess that's it for now. Work beckons, which really sucks, but I'll be back later with wondrous tales and fantastical stories to share. Ta ta!
Monday, August 23, 2004
After that was over I watched the newest episode of Road Rules: X-treme. It was a pretty boring mission (they succeeded in their second mission in a row, bor-ing!) but they showed a promo for next week's episode which will feature the cast of the last Road Rules team.
The newest chick on RR: X-treme, Jillian, is pretty slutty (hello, she had sex with Patrick on her first night on the show) but she can't touch the skeeziness of Mary-Beth from the last season! Woo! I can't wait!
Will they be the new Coral vs. Julie? I'm going to have to tune in to find out.
Bring it on, BA-BYYYYYY!
Finally, I caught the premiere episode of the new VH-1 show Totally Obsessed, and they're not lying! Actually, the show should be called Totally Effing Out Of Their Minds. This show features some of the most effed up people I've ever heard of. Tonight's episode featured a guy who was obsessed with Miami Vice, a couple that were raising a Cabbage Patch Kid (named Kevin) as their son, a dude that really loved to make Madonna costumes and a man who is trying to turn himself into a tiger ... literally! Let it be known that these crazy people live all over the country. Tomorrow night's episode (11pm) will feature a woman from Ferndale, MI (a suburb of Detroit about 20 minutes from where I live) who is totally obsessed with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!
Doesn't she look like a winner? She was featured on the local 5 o'clock news tonight. In her interview she explained that she became enamored of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles while in junior high school mainly because she had no friends. Imagine that! Well, I'm sure she's going to gain lots of friends from her 15 milliseconds of fame that is sure to follow her television debut.
I *so* need to go read a book now.
Well, just when you thought she couldn't get trashier, Britney Spears out-does herself. Who IN THEIR RIGHT MIND willfully enters a public restroom (clearly labeled women, men and handicapped -- can you even imagine how high the probability of missing-the-toilet-bowl error is in that restroom?!) in their BARE FEET! Now, I've been grossed out by the occasional picture of Britney barefoot on the street (getting flowers, running to her car) but the actual thought of bare human feet touching a urine-stained floor is just way too much for me. I think I'd rather touch the floor at City Club with my finger than touch a public restroom floor with anything
Salon.com has posted an excellent article on Britney's descent into the toilet, as it were. The blame is placed squarely on Kevin Federline's tattooed shoulders. I can't say that I disagree.
And even though I don't know her, have never met her, and was late to her fame party to begin with, I want to do a stranger intervention. I want to take this young woman aside and say, Britney? Get. A. Prenup. Do not let this guy take half your money, along with your heart and your self-respect. Preserve what you can get out of what happened to you as a kid: your bank account, at least. It's not that I think she should stop seeing him or anything. Let her have her fun, get her heart broken. I want to tell her that I get it, I really do. He makes her feel good about herself in a way that doesn't require 2,000 sit-ups a day, powerful in a way that isn't about selling millions of records. She told People magazine that she'd "kissed a lot of frogs" before finding "her prince." And I understand that it must feel that way, especially after that protracted video-for-video shootout and devastating breakup with Justin Timberlake.I mean sure, she was doing stupid things before she met Kevin (taking up smoking, in my opinion, was the start of all of this mess -- and we cannot forget that she was married before to Jason Whateverhisnamewas) but she wasn't as trashy as she has been since hooking up with Mr. Backup Dancer. It seems clear to most people that she is acting out against a life that was crafted for her by other people. Now that she has some semblance of personal control she is grasping at the first thing that looks solid. It's sad that to her that is what Kevin represents. She *so* just needs to say no:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I miss the old Britney. Right around the time that Oops! ... I Did It Again came out she was in her prime. Still young and cute but getting a tad bit racy. She was "still a virgin" and madly in love with Justin. It was a kindler, gentler Brit-Brit. Compare the glamorous Britney to the one we're stuck with now:
::Sigh:: It's sad to see what's become of her. I know she's just like any normal human being (well, when she's wearing shoes) but there is no reason for her to just implode to the point of ruin. I really hope she gets her shizz straight and soon. I'd hate for her to become a sad rock-n-roll statistic.
Two masked robbers ran into the Munch Museum, threatened staff with a handgun and forced people to lie down before grabbing "The Scream," an icon of existential angst showing a waif-like figure against a blood-red sky, and "Madonna" ... Some stunned visitors said they feared they were victims of a terror attack. The men simply walked out the front door -- with one painting bumping on the ground -- and escaped in a stolen black Audi car driven by a third man, police said ... Worth millions of dollars, the pictures are among Munch's best-known, even though he produced several versions of both 1893 works. "Madonna" shows a mysterious bare-breasted woman with flowing black hair.
I am at a complete loss for words. I cannot believe the brazenness of these horrible art thieves. I hope the paintings are recovered safely and are returned to their rightful place. The Scream is the first piece of art that I have ever had a fondness for. In college, I had a framed print of the painting hanging in my room. Sarah and I took a week-long trip to Toronto and were able to see original Munch sketches for The Scream -- the closest I've ever been to the real thing.
In other news:
- Bitch! Xtina is talking shizz about Britney: Christina says, "I can't believe that girl bought her own engagement ring! I've seen it, up close. It looks like she got it on QVC. I know Britney. She's not trailer trash, but she sure acts that way." Them's fightin' words.
- It turns out that Paul Hamm won his gold medal in the Men's Gymnastic Overall event by mistake -- he gets to keep the gold medal; the judges who made the error were suspended. Eh, it wasn't his fault the error was made so I say good call. Man, if it were me there would be no way they'd take my medal from me!
- Exorcist: The Beginning was the #1 movie at the box office this weekend. Someone made a deal with the devil, that's for sure.
- Did you know that Jada Pinkett Smith fronts a band? Did you know that she was the opening act for a few Britney Spears concert dates in Europe? Did you know that she counts Tori Amos as a musical influence? Strange, but true.
- There are rumors going around that George Lucas is going to make 3 Star Wars sequels that will pick up where Return of the Jedi left off. The news comes from a fan site called TheForce.net so who knows how reliable the news is. I for one think that Episodes 7 through 9 are not necessary but if there is money to be had, well, I think it's a safe bet that the movies will eventually be made.
- Gwen Stefani talks about her solo album in a new interview but still gives no release date. Stefani's solo debut is a dance-floor celebration of her newfound artistic freedom and fame. Her primary inspiration was Prince, but she's clear on just how far she can push it: "If you're not Prince, you're never going to sound like Prince," she says. "Especially if you're a white girl from Orange County." She also has an impressive list of producers and guest musicians, including: Andre 3000 (of OutKast), Pharrell Williams (of the Neptunes), Dr. Dre, Nelle Hooper (of Soul II Soul), Dallas Austin, Wendy and Lisa (from Prince's band The Revolution) and Martin Gore (from Depeche Mode). Sounds like a kick-ass record. Hopefully it will come out sometime this year.
- John Stamos finally files for divorce. Good job guy, it's about time you faced the truth.
- Jai Rodriguez (from Queer Eye for the Straight Guy) and Drew Lachey (from 98°) will both be starring on Broadway in Rent. Jai returns to his role as Angel and Drew takes over for Joey Fat-One as Mark (check out THIS PHOTO). And people think that Broadway is gay.
- MTV tells you what you need for Back to School. The shoes are effing ugly ...
Gotta love these two.